Ridgeline Smocks | Monsoon vs Pintail
Whether you're a seasoned hunter, or even if you're just starting out, it's highly likely you would have heard of Ridgeline clothing.
They are a well-known and trusted brand in the hunting community, providing exceptional shooting gear for men, women, and kids. Their collection includes a wide range of smocks, which have shot their way back into being a firm favourite of hunters and outdoorsmen alike.
Two of their most popular men's smocks are the Ridgeline Monsoon Classic Smock and Ridgeline Pintail Explorer II Smock. So we'd thought we'd take a closer look at these two fantastic garments - each with their own unique features - to determine the pros and cons of each.
Pitting them against each other isn't just for fun! Understanding the differences between these smocks can help you make an informed decision and choose the right gear for your needs.
Let's dive into all things Monsoon and Pintail, and find out what makes each of them such hot property.
What is a Smock?
A smock is an outdoor garment designed to protect the wearer from the elements during various activities such as hunting, hiking, or camping. It is typically made of a breathable, waterproof material that allows for air circulation and prevents sweat accumulation while keeping the wearer dry during rainy or wet weather conditions.
One of the significant differences between a smock and a traditional jacket is the length and style. A smock is often longer, designed to cover more of the body and provide additional protection from the elements. It also typically has a looser fit than a jacket, allowing for greater freedom of movement.
It is an ideal choice for those who are looking for a functional and stylish alternative to traditional jackets when participating in outdoor activities.
Pros and Cons of the Ridgeline Monsoon Classic Waterproof Smock
First under the microscope is the Ridgeline Monsoon Smock.
This men's smock comes packed with advantages that are hard to ignore. However, there are a few potential factors to consider when making a decision about this one.
- Its hard-wearing nature makes it an excellent investment garment
- Moisture Vapour Transmission Rate (MVT) is 5,000g/m2/24hrs so you can stay comfortable and dry
- 3-layer laminated shell enhances its waterproofing ability
- Has a Hydrostatic Head rating of 10,000mm, meaning you're protected in the wet weather
- Allows for a customisable fit with adjustable hood with wired peak, drawcord waist, velcro cuffs
- Multiple pockets - large external chest pocket with stud-fastened flap, two large external hand warmer pockets
- Silent, rustle-free construction, making it ideal for hunting or deer stalking.
- Not classed as lightweight - this means it may not be suitable for those early season shoots if the temperatures are warmer
- Vertical Chest Pocket - some hunters prefer a horizontal pocket on their smocks for carrying essentials.
Pros and Cons of the Ridgeline Pintail Explorer II Smock
Second up to be examined is the Ridgeline Pintail Explorer II Smock.
Again, this men's smock is brimming with exceptional features, but there are some notable points to think about when it comes to its use.
- Has a Hydrostatic Head rating of 10,000mm for wet weather protection
- Multiple pockets - zipped chest storage pocket with storm flap, two zipped handwarmer pockets
- Allows for a customisable fit with velcro adjustable cuffs, adjustable hem drawcord, adjustable wired hood
- Lightweight 2-layer construction with polyester mesh lining
- 10,000 MVT breathable membrane for your comfort
- Packable - can easily carry in your backpack when not needed
- Made with QUIET-TEX fabrics, which makes it a perfect hunting or stalking garment.
- Recommended for lighter showers - if you need an outer garment that's going to withstand extremely heavy downpour, this is probably not the smock for you
- Front angled pocket - a unique design that may not suit everyone's taste.
Comparison between Monsoon and Pintail Explorer Smocks
When choosing between these smocks, it's essential to consider the type of activity you'll be engaging in and the weather conditions you'll face to help you make a well-informed decision.
The Monsoon and Pintail Smocks both have their strengths and weaknesses, making them suitable for specific outdoor activities.
There are four main factors in which these men's smocks compete against each other:
- Value for Money.
When it comes to outdoor gear, durability is often a key factor to consider.
Both are Ridgeline jackets, so you know they are going to be durable just by default. In fact, we wrote a whole blog post on why this is so!
But there is a difference between the recommended uses of each smock, so this can factor into how durable they remain.
The Monsoon Smock can withstand harsh weather conditions, with its 3-layer construction. The Pintail Explorer, on the other hand, has a 2-layer construction and is mainly used for lighter showers.
Do the smocks do what they say on the tin? That's the question here!
And simply put, yes they do.
The Ridgeline Pintail Explorer Smock remains a functional and popular smock for outdoor activities and stalking, providing users with a lightweight and waterproof garment that can handle a variety of situations.
On the other hand, the Ridgeline Monsoon Smock is known for being robust - it has been put through its paces in tough outdoor conditions and has fully earnt its reputation. So if you need a garment to be relied upon in extreme weather conditions, then choose the Monsoon.
Both of these men's smocks have an attractive design, making them easy to style with the rest of your shooting gear, as well as looking great as a garment.
The main front pocket for each is probably the most intriguing feature that may cause polarised opinions. However, it all comes down to personal preference.
Think about what you need to carry with when you're out on a hunt or heading into the fields on a hike. Will the pockets on these smocks allow you to take these bits and pieces with you, comfortably and efficiently?
If the answer is yes, then fantastic! But if you're not sure, then maybe continue on your hunt for the perfect smock.
Value for Money
When comparing the Ridgeline Monsoon Smock and the Ridgeline Pintail Explorer, it's important to consider the value for money offered by each product.
In terms of recommended retail price, there's a minimal difference between the two Ridgeline smocks. They are both at a decent price point, which is reflected in all their many benefits and features discussed above.
You know you're getting quality when you invest in a Ridgeline jacket, so you can be confident in your purchase. Here at Hollands we always try to make our prices as competitive as we can within the market, so check in with us if you need any further information.
All-in-all, these men's smocks are a great buy for all your shooting, hunting, and outdoor pursuits.
Which Ridgeline Smock is Right for You?
Ridgeline smocks are a great option for those looking for a stylish and functional wet weather garment.
When deciding between the two, it comes down to what activities you are planning to do while wearing the smock. If you need a lightweight smock, go down the path of the Pintail Explorer. A more sturdy smock is needed? Perhaps check out the Ridgeline Monsoon Smock.
In order to help you choose, ask yourself the following questions:
- Which smock do I like the look of best? Then, does this one do what I need it to do?
- What am I going to be wearing the smock for?
- What features are important to me when it comes to a smock? (Waterproof rating, outer fabric, pockets etc)
- Can I wear this smock with the rest of my outdoor gear?
Your answers to the above, combined with all the information outlined in this blog post, will help steer you in the right direction. But, as ever, if you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to give our customer services team a shout.
If you're not sure whether the Monsoon or Pintail Explorer smocks are right for you, then rest assured - Hollands has a further exceptional range of men's smocks for you to choose from.
Now these two men's smocks have done battle in the ring, hopefully this will help you both understand their features and benefits a bit more, and determine whether one of them is the right smock for you.
Both the Ridgeline Monsoon Smock and the Ridgeline Pintail Explorer II Smock are great examples of the durability, style, and comfort offered throughout all the Ridgeline jacket collection, and showcases why the humble smock is fully back in the game.