Champion Kilbeggan Flannel Shirt Review
Champion is a well-known name in the country clothing industry, largely due to its incredibly popular shirt range.
The brand has country shirts that fly off the shelves and straight onto the arms of farmers, shooters, gardeners, labourers - anyone and everyone who needs a reliable and versatile garment for both work and leisure.
The Champion Kilbeggan Tartan Shirt is one of their best-sellers, and we thought we would take a look at why this particular shirt stands out.
Are Flannel Shirts Back in Style?
It seems everywhere you look these days, a flannel shirt is making waves. But, if we're honest - we don't think they ever really went out of style. Comfortable and casual, their forgiving nature lends itself to classic simplicity and a range of everyday situations.
Country style is synonymous with British fashion and there is nothing that says country style more than a tartan shirt. The reds, blues and greens of the plaid nod graciously to the hues of the ever changing countryside in which these check shirts have their roots.
If you're interested in learning more about the history of flannel shirts, have a read of this article from Outside.
What are the Main Uses of Flannel Shirts?
A checked shirt, such as the Champion Kilbeggan, can be worn for a variety of occasions.
Suitable as part of a casual wardrobe, it also has the opportunity to be jazzed up a little when paired with more formal-looking garments. It is considered a staple of workwear and looks great when you're just out and about in town or country.
Plaid shirts will never look out of place when worn for:
- Farming & agricultural work
- Labouring, construction work, and other industry trades
- Hiking or countryside walks
- Attending fetes or village events
- Weekend errands or trips to the town
- Lounging around the home or doing DIY jobs.
These shirts are truly versatile and are a no-brainer for stocking your wardrobe up with.
What Can You Wear Flannel Shirts With?
As we've seen, there's plenty of opportunities to wear your new checked shirt.
The great thing is that they're also easy to style with other garments, depending on the occasion or the weather. For example:
- For a casual look, wear the shirt with jeans and dealer boots, or perhaps shorts and deck shoes during the summer.
- When heading out for a hard day's graft, style the Kilbeggan or other plaid shirt with your favourite work trousers and safety boots. Accessorise with beanies or baseball caps, and layer up with gilets or waterproof jackets when the weather takes a turn for the worst.
- These checked shirts also can be worn with chinos and brogues for a more smart-casual event.
- Wear it buttoned up or open over a plain t-shirt or use it as a base layer for your workwear or waterproof gear.
Wear it at home or out in the countryside - it is yours to style up or down.
Overview of the Champion Kilbeggan Tartan Shirt
Champion shirts are known for their style, comfort, and great value for money.
The Kilbeggan is one of the brand's plaid shirts that has remained popular for many years. It's a tried and tested shirt, that never falls out of place once it becomes a safe rotation in your wardrobe.
It comes in three colours, has an attractive aesthetic appeal, and is soft to touch - plus it is priced reasonably and provides functionality throughout all its many uses.
Key Features of the Champion Kilbeggan Tartan Shirt
This shirt has some fantastic features, which all contribute to its popularity.
Some of the key characteristics of this tartan shirt are:
- 100% cotton yarn dyed flannel
- Brushed on the inside for extra comfort
- Champion branded buttons
- Two-button cuffs
- Two chest pockets with flap and button fastening
- Straight hem.
Pros & Cons of the Champion Kilbeggan Tartan Shirt
As with any garment, there are some advantages and disadvantages to this shirt. It's important to consider all aspects and features when deciding if it's the right option for you.
Some of its key benefits lie in its design and functionality, as is outlined in the list below.
- Comfortable Fit: The 100% cotton flannel is a soft, medium-weight fabric that has a soft finish that aids comfortability
- Durable Design: Yarn-dyed fabrics have yarns that are dyed into specific colours before being woven into a design. So the design is literally part of the fabric! This takes additional time, planning, and engineering to achieve, and makes the design stay within the fabric for the life of the shirt
- Great Value for Money: The Kilbeggan has always stayed at an affordable price point, which is often why people buy all 3 colours at once! It is worth noting that this affordability doesn't impact the quality, as Champion strive to provide a great garment for a great price
- Finishing Touches: The branded buttons, two-button cuffs, and straight hem just highlight how the brand has paid attention to the little details with this shirt
- Practical Features: The chest pocket means you can carry bits and pieces with you, plus the button closure adds to its security
- Versatility: These hardwearing shirts can be used for all the occasions discussed earlier, showcasing their earned place as a quality flannel.
The drawbacks aren't particularly significant, but they are worth taking into account.
- Less Seasonal: It may be a little bit too hot to be worn in the summer months, even with the sleeves rolled up. These casual shirts tend to work their magic in milder weather
- Washing Instructions: There are certain guidelines to follow when it comes to washing cotton shirts, so pay attention to the care label before bunging them in the machine!
Is the Champion Kilbeggan Tartan Shirt Right for You?
This shirt is perfect for those who appreciate a classic yet trendy design.
The Champion Kilbeggan Tartan Shirt is made from high-quality cotton yarn, ensuring durability and breathability. Its design features a classic collar, button cuffs, and chest pockets with flaps, adding a touch of functionality to its overall aesthetic. With its versatile fit, this shirt is suitable for both formal and casual occasions.
Great for farming or trade work, can be worn on the weekdays and the weekends, easy to style with the rest of your wardrobe - you can't go too far wrong with treating yourself to one of these Champion shirts.
Alternative Flannel Shirts
Flannel shirts are a great item to have in the Autumn/Winter season, but they can also be handy for the rest of the year.
Champion Clothing does fantastic checked shirts, so, if you're not sure on the Kilbeggan, make sure you check out the rest of their range. We suggest casting your eye on:
As ever, if you would like any further guidance or information about any of the mens shirts on our website, please give us a call or send us an email. We're always happy to help!
We think it's safe to say that flannel isn't going anywhere - it's definitely a fabric that will stand the test of time.
The Champion Kilbeggan lives up to the history and it is a great, affordable flannel shirt that demonstrates durability and style.
From its vibrant, eye-catching tartan pattern to its comfortable and soft fabric, this shirt is a true winner. Browse Champion's full range for more fantastic products.